Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hippy Hide-a-way

So it ends up that Vang Vieng is a HUGE hippy hide-a-way. I could totally picture my mom and dad back in the good old days living the life in this crazy little town. So on the backpacker circuit i have heard that Vang Vieng is suppose to be the ultimate destination for a SE Asia backpacker... and it was totally true. The big thing to do is tube down the river... but folks this aint the Guadalupe back home. I am talking about gorgeous mountains lining the river and these mountains are so steep. And lining the entire bank of the river is bar after bar after bar packed with drunk ass backpackers. And to top it off every bar is playing incredible music (a rarity here in Asia... mostly you can only get Thai or Laotian Pop music which both vida and I have voted worst music in the world). But on the river the music is: Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder (are you picking up on the hippy vibe). You start your trip at an organic mulberry farm and then start your tubes.... but before you get 20 feet down the river there are little kids jumping on your tube and hauling you to their bar (seriously... the kids dont go to school here). So after a few i decide it would be a good idea to use the bar's zip line. It was awesome but i forgot to let go before the end and the damn thing almost ripped my arms out of their socket. We tubed down the river with two friends that we met at a cave earlier in the day (Rochelle and Tania... both so cool). So we ended up tubing the whole day and it was awesome (i wish i had pictures to post... really incredible). Also here in Laos.... drugs are rampant... seriously everywhere. At restaurants you can order a pizza, coke, opium, weed, shrooms, really any drug you want. And its all there on the menu!!! So after tubing and a hard nights partying... i required the entire next day for recovery time (i am guessing that is why people come to VV and intend to stay for a few days and get stuck there for weeks.... i think it is the extended recovery time... yikes). But now we are in Vientiane.... I have kept my eyes peeled for Matt Lauer from the Today show... but sorry Gma and Faith... no luck. Tomorrow we have a flight for Siem Riep in Cambodia so that we can make it to Angkor Wat.

5 comments:

john said...

so i'm a little jealous... screw new mexico... im moving to VV... tubing, music, and a great menu... what more could i ask for? be safe and have fun... don't do anything i wouldn't do!

Jami said...

That sounds awesome baby! I'm glad you guys are having such a great time!!!

Anonymous said...

I laughed hard about you and the zip line - you are like your mom!!! I've been worried that you will end up in some Asian prison when you attempt to bring your pipe / scales home. Hope you've thought about sending them home ahead of you. I'm anxious for pictures... I guess I'll have to plan on a longer San Antonio visit for yor graduation.
Love you,
Tammie

Dad said...

Hey Son sorry I havn't commented earlier but I've had a hard time trying to figure this damn thing out, I have been reading it everyday. It sounds like you're having a great time. I must admit I was horrified about you going over there but you seem to be doing alright, at least you're hitting all the HIGH lights of the area! I sent your blog link to Shawna and Chris is posting on the Williams web site. I'm doing fine with my leg and get'n pretty good with my crutches. Sharon's holding up OK too, at least she hasn't hurt me, yet! I Love You Son, continue to be careful and I can't wait for you to get home!

Faith said...

Sounds like you're still havin' a blast...most importantly that you are still safe (we were all terrified when we heard about the cyclone that killed thousands in Burma)...so glad you weren't there!! I hate to repeat the "be safe" comment, but you know how we all feel...I am really glad that Vida is there with you b/c I'm sure she's being the more cautious one (at least I hope one of you are). Love ya lots - see ya on the 16th!