Thursday, April 24, 2008

So much for preemptive planing

So I am now writing from Chang Mai... which thank God is not as hot as freaking Bangkok. I took a VIP (take the term lightly) sleeper bus from Bangkok overnight to CM. Well, good news is that the bus was fairly nice (which it should have been for $30... i am bitter but whatever), bad news is that the roads are HORRIBLE. I was getting thrown all over the guy next to me and none of us got any sleep on that damn ride north. So i thought i was being super smart by traveling at night so i didnt have to pay for a hotel, BUT, when you get into CM at 4 AM no hotels are open or they just say that they are full so they dont have to wake up to help you (and after the 10 hour drive on pothole alley i was exhausted). So that left me aimlessly wondering the streets for someone who would give me a room. Finally found a place that had a room with a fan for 400 baht (that is about $13 US... and you dont know how much that pains me to pay that much for a roach nest of a room.. and yes there are roaches..big ones... i just write it off by saying everyplace has roaches... i can just see them better at this specific establishment). But on the bright side there is a pool. But so much for preemptive planning... never has been my strong suit. I guess thats a good thing about traveling in SE Asia though, there is a lot of shit that will make you mad... but then there is always an upside. I am just hoping the upside to this hotel doent end with me getting bed bugs or scabies. I am terrified of getting bed bugs while i am here, sad but true. AND VIDA comes tomorrow... this should be fun :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Glad to hear you are having fun. I would love to hear your recommendations for places to stay (or not) b/c I'll be there in a couple of weeks! I think I'll pass on the ping pong clubs, though... Take care!
Danyelle (from FL)

Jami said...

All I can say is WOW! That is crazy baby! I would guess your show was a little more explicit than the one we saw in NO. :) I'm glad you are having such a great time and meeting cool people. We left Vida in Banglore today to fly to meet you...she is pretty excited...and I am pretty jealous! We just got to Goa today and it is beautiful, but the beach by our hotel is kind of dirty, so we are going to go to another one tomorrow. I love you and I miss you a ton!!!